Sport England have released a strategy to help children and the most disadvantaged groups get healthier and fitter through sport.
If they can get a vast majority of their stuff done then maybe just maybe the future could be bright for a lot of these groups and grass root sport may not die out.
The 5 big issues it is working on are
1) Reinvent and Recover – This is to help those sports etc come out the other side of this pandemic, there needs to be a lot of help for those small clubs that some of these communities rely on. Getting going again is going to be tough.
2) Connecting Communities – promoting a the benefits of a physical life amongst the local communities, enabling people to come together and help each other out. You see it a lot in small independent gyms already but this needs to go out further.
3) Positive experience, this is vital, without the kids having a positive experience with the sport or exercise they are doing they are just not going to do it, it has to be an enjoyable time otherwise you won’t be able to take them away from the screens. Showing them what they can actually do and increase their own self esteem is vital, show them that they are worthy.
4) Connecting with Health and wellbeing, this can be started in schools for kids but it’s vital that this is also run out to the wider community, show the benefits of a healthy life.
5) Active environments, having the places for kids and people to go and be active, this has to come down to having the playgrounds, fields etc there and not having to have schools sell of their land just to be able to get by, the funding needs to be there and we need to stop building on every bit of green land there is.